Retirement of Helen Thomas award brings wave of hate to SPJ national president By Marshall Weiss, The Dayton Jewish Observer Hagit Limor, an investigative reporter for Cincinnati’s WCPO-TV, says she knew she’d learn a lot during her year as national president of the Society of Professional Journalists. “But I never
By Martha Moody Jacobs Special To The Dayton Jewish Observer Ten years ago, the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin brought Dayton Peace Accords figures to Temple Israel On Sunday, Nov. 5, 1995, the Dayton Jewish community played an unexpected role in the struggle for world peace. At that time, Dayton and Wright-Patterson
By Marshall Weiss, The Dayton Jewish Observer Master fund raiser and community builder Robert Fitterman, who served as executive director of the Jewish Federation of Greater Dayton from 1948 to 1978, died on May 22. He was 95. His 30-year tenure with
By Marshall Weiss, The Dayton Jewish Observer Last year, most historical materials of the Jewish Federation were randomly piled up in the basement of Covenant House in Trotwood or stuffed in a storage closet at the Federation’s downtown office at 33 W. First St.
If you’re enjoying the Ten Decades of Tzedakah page in The Observer during Federation’s centennial year, you’re benefiting from the Federation Archives and the valuable information it contains about the history of our Federation. Thanks to the generosity of the Clarence and Judith
Barely remembered today, service delivery for itinerant Jews was a hot topic during the Federation’s first decades By Marshall Weiss, The Dayton Jewish Observer Judaism teaches that all Jews are obligated to give tzedakah, to provide righteous giving to those in need. A Jew is
The aspirations of the Jews who founded Dayton’s major arts ensembles enrich us to this day By Burt Saidel, Special To The Dayton Jewish Observer June 1999 Dayton’s rich arts life is the envy of many cities that are much larger and more metropolitan.
Dayton’s first Jewish settlers arrived in 1842. In 1850, the first Jewish house of worship was established in Dayton. The congregation eventually adopted the Reform ritual and evolved into Temple Israel. In 1887, 19 Orthodox Jewish settlers built Beth Jacob Congregation. Beth Abraham Synagogue was